Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Leaning Tower of Pancakes

This is, I believe, one of HMRs classic recipes, so don't think I came up with this one, because I didn't.  I just thought that maybe, if you're crazy and haven't tried this recipe yet, you'd like to see some pictures of the pancakes before you give it a shot.  So.  Here's some pictures.  Go give it a shot.
As far as how I use the pancake recipe, I respect it.  I mean, I know it's another one of those dreaded low volume recipes, but on Sunday morning, when my family is having pancakes (that I cooked and couldn't eat), well, now I can join them.  And that is very very important to me.
Also!  Tuesday is weigh in day for me, and I lost 1.5 pounds.  68 more to go!  I refuse to say that I only lost 1.5 pounds, because any loss is precious and to be celebrated.  You hear that, folks?  As long as that scale went negative, you smile and pat yourself on the back, because you deserve it. 


Leaning Tower of Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 70+ vanilla shake
1 cereal
½ cup Water
Fat-free syrup (optional)

Pour your shake and your cereal dry into the blender and blend away.  Note that this can be very messy; make sure your lid is on tight.  Also, as a handy tip, make more than one batch at a time to avoid doing this messy part every time.  I make the pancake powder up in batches of four so I only have to do this once a month.  Divide your bigger batch into 3/4 cups of powder and bag it up in freezer bags, and freeze it for next time. 

After your cereal and shake have been thoroughly pulverized, about the consistency of flour, pour it out of your blender.  "But Becky," you're going to ask, "why are we pouring it out of the blender when we're just going to put it back in?"  Because if you don't put the water in first, you're going to end up with a gooey powder concrete mess in the bottom of your blender that requires you to take it completely apart and soak it to get it clean again.  Yeah, I know this from experience.  So pour the powder out of the blender and add the 1/2 cup of water and start the blender.  Then put the powder back in, on top of the water, and blend to combine.

Spray a nonstick pan with butter flavored Pam.  Heat your pan the a medium low heat.  You have to cook these slow or you will burn the outsides before the insides are done.  If your batter has become too thick, add a little more water and whisk it.  Mine didn't need any water added, though.  It depends on how long you let it sit before cooking.  Put your batter in the center of the pan, just like you would a normal pancake.  Wait to flip it until the sides look solid and the bubbles, if any, have cooked out.  Repeat the process with the other cakes, including the nonstick cooking spray every time.

I usually make pancakes that are three to four inches around, because I think the smaller pancakes are easier to handle and cook more consistentantly.  So you should end up with three to four small pancakes when you're done.  Now, the syrup!

I found a syrup at the local grocery store that only has 20 calories per 1/4 cup, and I usually only use one to two tablespoons of syrup on these pancakes, because they're already sweet.  The reason I say that syrup is optional is because you can add so many flavorings to the batter that you may not want syrup (I like the syrup).  Add some hazelnut Davinci syrup, or caramel.  Add some butterscotch or cheesecake pudding.  Add some strawberry or cherry jello.  Are you getting ideas?  I hope so!

Counts as 1 shake and 1 extra shake on Decision Free.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Becky! 1&1/2 lbs is 1&1/2lbs! Congrats on the weight loss. I read that you wrote 68 more? You will be a stick figure! Your latest picture in the other thread doesn't look too far off from a nice goal, but 68!!

    Thanks again for posting a yummy recipe (and amazing pictures, I swear I can taste that pancake!).

    You should really work with HMR and publish a book with them. Your recipes are so innovative and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! HMR, you can call my agent! (I don't really have one, but I have ALWAYS wanted to say that.)

      Delete
  2. That sounds good but I would like to know the ingredients all I see is 70+ shake and ceral, maybe if you would write down the ingredients everyone may fix them and reply about them.
    Thaks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally making this recipe this morning in the middle of a blizzard!

    Hope all is well and that you are still doing good on HMR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Becky! I hope you enjoyed Disney. I've always had a good time there.

    I liked this recipe, but I would 'tweak' it a little bit. Of course, this is to my 'taste' so someone else might not like it. Each serving is one shake and one cereal and is in the Decision Free 'box'.

    Becky's Pancakes, modified:

    Makes 2 servings

    Dump two pkg HMR cereal into a large bowl. Pick out the dried fruit and save as a snack or throw away. (I didn't like the fruit taste in the 'cakes' but if you think you will, leave them in and try it.)

    In a food processor (with mixing blade), pour 1 and 1/4 cups water*, then add cereal powder and 2 pkg HMR 70 Vanilla Shake (I don't know how well the other types of shakes will work, but I imagine it won't make a difference, as long as its vanilla). Add 1/4 tsp baking powder. Mix well.

    *Try this amount of water first, then if your batter is too thick add some (1/4 cup) more and mix again. I found if I use less than this much my pancakes are too thick and don't cook correctly. Your batter should be just runny enough to come out of the food processor's mixing bowl if you try and pour it out. If it just stays 'stuck' in there, its too thick.

    Remove mixing bowl from food processor. Remove mixing blade, using scraping tool to save as much 'batter' as possible. Scoop half of your batter into a zippy bag for next time you want pancakes. Freeze mix in zippy bag. I like to label my bags with a sharpie so I know what's in them when they are unidentifiably frozen.

    (Food processors are more powerful and much easier to clean than blenders, so don't worry about pre-mixing the powder.)

    Heat your pan on medium low (setting 4 of 10) while letting batter sit. Give it at least a few minutes for the heat to even out in the pan. You want to let the baking powder do its thing in your batter so don't rush it. Use low calorie cooking spray on pan once its heated and pour the batter in, making 3 or 4 pancakes. (You may need 2 batches if your pan is small). Once the edges are dry and the middle looks like its drying, flip them. Its easy to burn these, so err on the side of caution. If they aren't cooked all the way you can flip them again. As long as the edges are dry, the bottom is too and you should be able to turn them without messing them up. While they cook, make yourself some Cammomile tea and enjoy cleaning out the food processor bowl. Those are your calories, after all! Enjoy with a little bit of no sugar, nonfat syrup.

    Again, thanks Becky for getting me started on this! I'm getting sort of bored with the Decision Free lineup, and its treats like this that help me keep on plan.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is late in coming but i just started the hmr diet. these pancakes are great, but i did add another 1/4 tsp baking powder and a dash of cinnamon. I like my pancakes light.

      Delete
  5. I know this is an old post, but it seriously just saved me. So easy!! Threw the dry ingredients in my Ninja blender cup, blended, tossed in the water and some maple flavoring. Wallah! Made great pancakes that I would eat even if not on HMR. Didn't even use syrup :) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great recipe. I changed mine up a bit. I picked out the raisins and replaced them with about 6 pecan halves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe this is too old but let me know. Is the 1 packet each if you make a single portion supposed to be 3/4 ‘flour’ I feel like I have way more than that in my blender.

    ReplyDelete