Saturday, September 22, 2012

Smoky Enchilada Bake


I was assigned a blast day this week.  So, I had to eat more than my minimum, which meant I had to fit an extra entree in somewhere.  Now, don't get me wrong, I sometimes do this voluntarily when I am ravenous, but this time it was an assignment, and I do my best to fulfill all of them.  So I needed a new double entree for supper, something different, something that I could make with what I had at home with me.  Something like this.
Looks huge, doesn't it?!
 This requires a little decontruction of an entree, but it really wasn't that difficult.  It's an enchilada entree and a BBQ chicken entree (BBQ chicken is my favorite entree...can you tell?)  You have to unroll the enchiladas to use for a top and bottom, spoon out the stuffing, mix it with the BBQ chicken, and spread the left over enchilada sauce across the top, with some hot sauce if you'd like.

Spices, meat, tomato sauce, little crunchy bits on the edges...  Heaven in a casserole dish.
 You'll need a little time for this one, because you simply must bake it. 

Looking at it again now is making my mouth water.

Smoky Enchilada Bake

Ingredients
1 BBQ Chicken Entree
1 Enchilada Entree
Non-stick spray
1/4 teaspoon smoky mesquite grill seasoning
couple of sprinkles of hot sauce

Preheat your over to 375.

Spray your casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray.

Open your enchilada entree, and get as much of the sauce as you can off of the entrees.  Either push it off to the side, or scoop it out into a bowl.  Carefully pull out an enchilada by inserting a butter knife through the end of it and all the way into it.  Once the enchilada is wrapped around the knife, pick it up and lay it in the casserole dish.  Turning the knife, find the end of the enchilada and unwrap it.  You should now be staring at the enchilada filling.  Scoop it out gently with a spoon and place in an empty bowl.  You should now have the tortilla laying naked in the bottom of your casserole dish.

I found that the tortilla part of these enchiladas is pretty tough.  I had one start to tear on me when I was doing the top, and honestly, if it does rip, just lay it down where it would have been had it not ripped.  This is a gooey messy casserole and keeping the tortilla perfectly intact won't matter at all.

Open your BBQ chicken, cut the chicken into cubes, and throw it in the bowl with the enchilada stuffing.  Add your grill seasoning.

Now the tricky part.  You have to get the stuffing out of the remaining enchilada.  I did it right inside of its original plastic container.  Unroll it carefully after you find the end, and scoop the rest of the filling into the bowl with the BBQ chicken.

Stir the BBQ chicken/enchilada stuffing/grill seasoning until combined.  Put it in an even layer onto the tortilla in the cassorole dish.  With a large spoon or spatula, move the last tortilla on top of the mixture.  It's nice if you can get the side that was touching the enchilada stuffing face down, but not necessary. 

Take the enchilada sauce that you reserved earlier and smooth it over the top of the casserole.  Put a couple shakes of hot sauce on the top if you want some more spice.  I used three shakes of Tabasco Chipolte sauce.  Two would've done just fine though.

Bake in an oven at 375 for 25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the best recipes I have ever tasted....on or off the new HMR Lifestyle. Thank you soooo much.

    Artie Schulte, Omaha NE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What high praise! You just made my day. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete