Thursday, September 13, 2012

Spicy Chips and Bean Dip

This one takes some time, so don't make it when you're starving and ravenous and in oh-my-Lord-I would-eat-my-shoe-right-now-if-it-tasted-like-chocolate mode.  Also, supposedly it's a low volume recipe, so don't eat it often.  But man oh man, did I almost feel normal eating this.


The chips were crispy, the dip creamy.  The spices were familiar and comforting.


I totally plan to use this recipe on Christmas Eve, when my family has an all-you-can-stuff-yourself-with  hors d'oeuvres.  I'll have my own, and if I take some brownies or cupcakes with me, I'll be golden.  Those recipes coming soon!



Spicy Chips and Bean Dip


Ingredients for Chips
-------------------------
2 packets of chicken soup
1 tablespoon of taco seasoning (more if you like it spicier)
3 tablespoons water

Ingredients for Bean Dip
-------------------------
1 5-Bean Casserole
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1 tablespoon of fat-free sour cream

Mix your chicken soup and taco seasoning with the water, whisking until smooth.  It will be like a thick batter.  

Spray a dinner plate well with Pam (I like the butter flavor, because it smells nice.)  Pour your soup onto the plate, and use the back of the spoon to spread it into a uniform layer that covers the flat part of the plate.  Microwave for 3-5 minutes.  Because of individual microwaves, I can't get more specific than that.  I cannot over stress how much you need to watch this after about three minutes.  It burns QUICKLY and stinks up your house for DAYS.  Not that I would know that personally, of course.  Ahem.  When the middle is no longer liquidy and shiny, remove from microwave and pry it off of the plate while it's still hot.  I find a fork works the best for this.  It will be stiff but still a little floppy.  It will solid up more while it cools on a plate or cutting board. 

Now work on the bean dip.  Heat up your entree and put it into a bowl after it's warm.  Mash with a potato masher.  I like mine a little lumpy, but you can mash until your heart's content, or place in a food processor.  Stir in the taco seasoning and sour cream, reserving a tad for the top.  If food looks good, it will taste better.  Proven fact.  Bean dip done.  Put your dab of sour cream on your beans, and sprinkle some more taco seasoning on top to make it look pretty.

Cut your soup mixture into chip shapes, leaving them big enough to dip.  I found that the chip to dip ratio was perfect, and I ran out of chips when the dip was gone.  Bliss!

Counts as one entree and one shake for Decision Free.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! This was very good and so glad you posted this recipe. Will be making this again and will be trying some of the other ones that you have posted.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete