Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken Curry

One thing I have really missed is the flavor of exotic food.  I'm not so much a meat and potatoes type of girl.  I like unfamiliar spices and crazy flavor combinations.  I'll try anything once, just out of sheer joy of finding a flavor that I've never experienced before.
I was not really a fan of the Savory Chicken entree as it came out of the package.  I mean, it had potential.  I liked the mushroomy flavor, and the occasionally crunchiness of the brown rice pieces.  But the more bites of it I took, the less of the delicate flavor I seemed to taste, until it was just like chewing ricey paste.
Let me assure you, this does not taste like ricey paste.  To the contrary, what I thought was a weakness of the Savory Chicken is a strength.  You can, quite literally, completely change the flavor of this entree dish with spices.  I have so many ideas for how to do this, and I'm excited to see which ones work.  This, I think, is one of them.  Curry chicken has some heat to it, so if you don't like a little spice, skip this dish.  If you do though, try it.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
Savory Chicken entree
1/4 tsp of curry powder (less, if you don't like a little bit of spice)
1/4 tsp of ginger (see curry note above)
dash of cinnamon
dash plus sprinkle of red pepper flakes
drop of coconut extract

Heat your Savory Chicken entree according the package directions.  When it is done, cut the chicken into small cubes.  

Add the curry powder, ginger, a dash of red pepper flakes, a drop of coconut extract, and dash of cinnamon.  Trust me on the cinnamon.  It will work with the dish.  Just be very VERY sparing.  Stir all to combine completely.  Your savory chicken will transform, taking on a lovely golden hue.

Shake a few red pepper flakes on top, just to make it look pretty.  The prettier it looks, the better it will taste.  Enjoy! 

Counts as 1 entree

7 comments:

  1. OMG- I think this post just saved me! I am struggling with everything tasting the same and was not a 'cooking queen' before going on HMR, more like a 'fast food/take out master'. So aside from hot sauce I am not good and knowing what spices to mix with things to make it taste better. I love Curry and Indian food. I am trying this tonight! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This is one of my favorites. Let me know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED IT! Just finished dinner, YUM! Keep the recipes coming. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. I love hearing from folks that the recipes were good...gives me warm fuzzies.

      Delete
  4. Becky! I have to say you are a genious in the HMR kitchen. I started in the program in February and have lost 99 pounds. I have been getting bored of the HMR food. I love your recipes and your descriptions of what does and doesn't work when making them. I could never get the pancakes to turn out but following your directions I finally had sucess! Thanks for your blog! Keep your recipes and tips coming! We appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..and for some reason, on your blog I am logged in as my daughter. I am Melanie. Go by AnnaMaria on hmrdiet.com :-)

      Delete
    2. It's so nice to meet you, Melanie! I am so happy I could help you with the pancakes. They are really something that I think stacks up to anything in the gap (you know, the world outside of HMR food) and everyone should be able to experience them. Thank you for your kind comments!

      Delete