Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Greetings, from a drought-stricken region on the US, dusty Missouri!  I thought I'd use this first post to let you know just a tad about me, why I'm doing this, and what you can expect from me.

My name is Becky (Hi, Becky) and my passion, and I'm sure a lot of you can empathize with this, is food.  I like the way it tastes, I like the way it looks, I like the way it smells.  Food is necessary and lovely.  However, I like it a little too much, and I have a hard time stopping putting it in my mouth once I start.

I joined the HMR program at my local hospital on March 15, 2012, the ides of March (et tu, food?)  I decided to jump right in and go with the uber-restrictive Decision Free option.  My immediate reason for this is because my husband, daughter, and I are going to Disneyworld in January of 2013.  I will be darned if I spend my week at Disneyworld depressed because I can't fit on the rides, so I am going to make well sure and good that I am going to fit.  And I'm going to feel better and look better while getting there.

I started the program at 301 pounds.  Yikes.  Highest I've ever been.  Now, six months later, I'm down to 214.5 pounds and very thankful for that.  Only 69.5 pounds more to go!

So, what is this blog for?  After six months of pretty much eating the food as is and not adding anything or trying anything different, I'm BORED.  I need something different.  I need to feel excited about meal time again.  I started looking up HMR recipes online, and was incredibly frustrated by the ones that I found.  Yes, they work.  Yes, some of them are really good.  But no one treats this food with respect.  (Where are the pictures?)  It seems that it is just a transitory thing, just something to lose weight, not really a pretty food, and I realize that.  But this is my life right now, and as such, I think this food is rather important.  Maybe I've watched Julie and Julia one too many times, but let's give this a try and see if we can't enjoy this food while we're eating it.

This blog is for recipes.  It's also going to have lots of pictures of what the cooking of these recipes looks like, and the finished product.  And I'm rather opinionated, so I'm sure you'll get to hear what I think of these recipes also.  I'm looking forward to this, and I hope that even if it's a recipe you've already heard of, you will get to see it in a new way.  Let's do this.

16 comments:

  1. Hi---found your blog via HMR's website. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    I'm just starting out and experiences like yours are so inspiring to me! Congrats on your weightloss so far, you must feel and look so great!

    Would you care to share your week by week loss? I can't find any blog that a woman shared this info (it seems to only be the men!). I feel like I am not losing fast enough and can't even imagine 6 months from now.

    I'll be back often to see your updates. Adding your been and chip recipe to my favorites now, sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks for giving my blog its first comment ever!

    If people are interested in that info, I have no problems posting my weekly weight loss. The numbers are what they are, and I'm not afraid to share them. I'm also considering posting a before and after photo every so often...I'll have to think about this one. That before picture is so very, well, before. But it's nice to keep that picture in the forefront of my mind, so I can remember that I am never, ever, EVER going back.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a before picture that I can't even bear to look at but I will be happy to have it in the future to look back to. You are right, I am never ever going back no matter what. :)

    Do you mind sharing your previous weight loss weeks that got you to this point? (I'm sorry if I am too nosy, please ignore me if you want to.) I am only losing 3-4lbs a week and can't imagine being down 86lbs in 6 months, you must have worked your butt off literally!

    I'm happy to be your 1st comment, and now your second too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I'll pull out the records and post them later today. However, I think you'll be surprised.

      What I have to concentrate on (and I'm not going to lie, it's hard to sometimes) is ANY weight loss is good, even if it's only a half of a pound. Sometimes, you look at the big picture, and that seems like such a daunting mountain to climb that it's frustrating. It is such a huge number for some of us, that goal. My personal goal is 156 pounds (a whole person!)

      But those small losses WILL add up, just as every drop in the bucket helps fill it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky and HMRchick! I am also a newbie and looking forward to following this blog. Thanks for the photos Becky...it is always helpful to see the finished product. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw...I am also going to Disney World in January (12-26)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I might see you there (January 14-20.) I'm so excited about going, like a kid myself!

      Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm working on devising the next recipe now. I feel a bit like a mad scientist, rubbing my hands with glee.

      Delete
  6. WOW! First off congratulations! Its great to have some inspiration and see some different recipes for the decision free option. I have only been doing the diet for about a month now and i must confess i am already getting bored with the food. I like to have options and a variety of flavors and the 13 entrees while tasty considering it all are getting a little mundane. I cant wait to try your recipes and get to experimenting with some ideas i have too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today is my first day. I am also starting at 300#. Your blog is encouraging. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. My hope is that some of these recipes will spark some great creations of your own. Just keep trucking. The diet really does works if you follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky - This blog is a great idea, because you're right - HMR recipes tend to be more "let's make this palatable," rather than, "here's a meal you can enjoy!" Are you taking suggestions on recipes that perhaps you can improve upon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I wanted this blog to be sparking ideas about how to make these meals feel more like...well, meals. Anything that leads to an exchange of ideas or a burst of creativity gets a big thumbs up from me.

      Delete
  10. Hello Becky,

    You're a talented chef with this HMR diet! I'm a newbie and am appreciating your exploration with the foods! Thank you for sharing I intend on trying all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I tend to be an eater not a Cooker, but you are the talk of the town in Lexington Ky, and a dear fellow partner and amigo at HMR sent me your link. Two of your recipes, "cupcakes" and bean dip are being made for my portion of a b'day party tomorrow. Thank you for the effort you take to share these great recipes with fellow hidden thin people. You are helping many endure the journey with more variety and delight in the decision free box we have chosen to put ourselves in.
    Many thanks!
    Always, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Becky,

    I am also a foodie and love taking ordinary and making it into something beautiful! Your story and recipes are very inspirational as I start on this journey I am on my 3rd week and am in the box completely however I need to prepare by researching and trying so that I don't get bored and you are a key to that success thank you so much for sharing I hope Disney World was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Becky! It is the first day of 2014 and I just want to ask.. How is your weight loss as of today the first day of the 2014, and how was your vacation last year. Best wishes for a lean (woo hoo) year.

    ReplyDelete