Monday, October 15, 2012

Tortilla(less) Soup

So, nothing fancy this time, and this meal will not take long to prepare.  Tortilla(less) soup is one of my quick and easy go-tos when I'm in need of a little comfort food, especially in cold weather.  It may not photograph particularly prettily, but let me assure you that this soup is thick, creamy, warm, and filling.  I cannot even guess how many times I've eaten this meal...but it's lots and lots.  And lots.  There was about three weeks in a row when I had this for supper six nights out of seven.  Not joking, truth.


This has a serious tortilla soup feel to it.  The flavors are familiar and I tend to use these spices a lot, but sometimes, familiar is nice, too.  I got this recipe from a couple of folks in my class.  They swore by it, talking to each other with pure enthusiasm when bringing this recipe up.  I'm not sure which one of them came up with it first, but I'm so glad they mentioned it to me.  When I make it, I appreciate the fact that there are so few ingredients on this list.  I added the garlic though.  Everything is better with garlic.


So yeah, the spoon is out of focus, but the soup in the bowl is clear!  Don't judge.  See how thick and creamy?  Soooo glad I just got to eat this, otherwise I would have to go make it right now.


Also, thanks to my mom for donating some cool bowls and plates to the blog cause.  You rock!


Tortilla(less) Soup

Ingredients:
1 5-Bean entree
1 chicken soup
3/4 teaspoon taco seasoning (if you want it spicier, add more!)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of Italian seasoning
4 ounces water

My preferred method of making soup is with boiling water, so put a teakettle on the stove to boil.  You only need 4 ounces of water for this recipe, so save yourself some time and just put a little bit of water in the kettle, and it will boil much faster.

Meanwhile, microwave your bean entree.

When your water is whistling, measure out 4 ounces and pour it into a bowl that contains your chicken soup.  Whisk it up good.  There's nothing I hate more than this soup with little hard yellow balls of soup powder in it. (shudder)

Add the heated entree, taco seasoning, and garlic powder, and stir gently.  I don't use the whisk here, because I don't want to pulverize the beans.  Mix until completely combined with the chicken soup.

If you can stand to let it sit for three minutes, do so.  It will thicken up nicely and the consistency is wonderful.

I sprinkled a little Italian seasoning on top to give the pictures more interest, but it tasted surprisingly good, changing the aroma of the dish in a good way.  I'd recommend just the slightest sprinkle to taste.

Counts as 1 entree and 1 extra shake on Decision Free.

2 comments: